Exploring Puerto Rico

Exploring Puerto Rico
At Cafe Puerto Rico in Old San Juan

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hodgepodge

This weekend has been an interesting weekend. A hodgepodge of feelings and emotions. It started with a fight with Mustafa and among many things that were said, he used his condescending self and accusatory tone of my not being able to fully understand his real being and always being conscious about society and what others may think. His behavior sometimes drives me up the wall. I went to bed feeling all angry and mostly misunderstood. But I have to admit that a part of me finds fighting quite healthy as it lets us lash out at each other our true feelings which we would not have otherwise done when totally sober. Of course, the important part comes during the making up sessions (and no, I am not talking about sex here), but when we are able to talk things through with sincerity and honesty. I find these moments always helping us get closer to each other at the end of the day.
So while brooding most of Saturday, I decided to do the impossible: stay in bed all day and not care about a thing. And boy, I have to say it felt great! So from anger, total elation! Caught up on "Modern Family" and "Grey's Anatomy" premiere and watched 2 Hindi movies!!! The latter, although quite stupid, made me feel quite emotional and mush. So by now, feeling totally teary! So while the hero and heroine are in search of their love of their life, I realized that no matter what, the love of mine was sitting right there in the living room busy at work and not talking to me all day. And for the first time, ha ha, he did not dare to ask me to serve him either breakfast nor lunch! I would have definitely lashed out :-) Yes, he's not perfect. But then, who is!? A part of me cannot help but feel that if he were the goodie goodie predictable type, he would have been so boring. But yes, definitely lacking maturity. But there's hope. That's bound to happen some day with age. Hopefully, soon.
Today, feeling somewhat inspired by Bollywood, decided to get back to my quintessential self. So the doting wife makes him a full breakfast and allows him to continue his work. No nagging. No reminding him to help me with house chores. Took care of the week's groceries, laundry, cleaning the apartment, vacuuming and mopping and setting to make a hodgepodge meal. But amidst all, I am still awaiting the make-up session ;-)

And what better hodgepodge than Moroccan Couscous containing 8-9 vegetables and beef chunks to match all the different moods I have been feeling... And the end result is an AWESOME concoction. I hope by the age of 60, I can say the same about the Sabsmus partnership.




Ingredients
-- Combination of vegetables cut up in big chunks: 2 large tomatoes cut up in 8 wedges, 2 big carrots skinned and cut up at 3 inch lengths, 1 big zucchini, 1 small cabbage quartered, 1 small sized eggplant, 2 sweet potatoes quartered, 1 quarter pumpkin cut up in chunks.
-- 1 small can of chickpeas
-- A bunch of cilantro tied with a thread
-- 1lb of beef chunks
-- One onion diced and 2 cloves of garlic
-- Salt, pepper, saffron
-- Couscous (I used wheat couscous from Trader Jo's. Follow box directions to prepare)

Process:
1. In 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a large stock pot, fry the onions and garlic till the onion is translucent.
2. Throw in the beef chunks and brown. Add salt, pepper and saffron. (OK, my sister will kill me if she reads this as my couscous is not the real Moroccan type, but I make it a la Bangladeshi. I do throw in a little red chili, coriander and cumin along with some whole green chillies. Blush. It's blasphemous I know!!! The real Moroccan way only requires onions, salt, black pepper and saffron)
3. Add in all the vegetables except for the zucchini and chickpeas. On medium high heat, fry well for 2-3 min.
4. Add water to cover the vegetables. Taste the gravy for salt. Place the cilantro bunch on the very top. Bring to boil. Cover and set it on low heat.
5. After an hour or so, check on the vegetables and the meat. Add in the Zucchini and chickpeas. Partially put the lid on and let it cook for another half hour until the meat is nice and tender.
6. Cook the couscous following the box's directions. To serve, place the couscous forming a well in the middle. Place the vegetables and beef on top with a little gravy. Place the gravy in a separate dish and let people take as little or as much as gravy they want. Personally, I like mine dry. I know others like it with a lot of gravy almost forming an island! Enjoy!

Tastes even greater the next day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment